The Craghoppers Lena is now my new favourite jacket. Great to throw on when getting out with the kids!
We’re familiar with buying lots of outdoor gear from Go Outdoors, from bikes to camping equipment. Well, Go Outdoors decided to send us over one of the jackets they sell, and I was very impressed with it.
When I buy a coat, I always look for something that is versatile to get value for money. And this softshell jacket from Craghoppers, called Lena, hits the mark.
The jacket does come in a variety of colours I particularly love this Deep Marine Blue colour. It gives a bit more visibility than black and contrasts well with jeans / outdoor trousers to give a stylish look.
The Lena is perfect for outdoor adventures. The ultimate versatile softshell jacket?
A few key features
- SmartDry – A water repellent treatment bonded to the fabric so that rain and spills simply run off.
- Insulating – warm and super insulating for maintained the body’s microclimate.
- 2 lower pockets – which are zipped and hidden for security.
- Adjustable hem
- Full-length zip with inner zip guard so that it doesn’t rub on your neck or chin.
- Integrated hood with toggle adjusters to front
- Rubber and velcro cuff adjusters
- Fabric polyester elastane face with soft brushed back.
Putting the Lena Jacket to the Test
I have taken this jacket out on a few adventures to put it to the test.
The first thing I love about this jacket is how comfortable it is to wear; it’s so easy and light to wear!
The soft fleece lining makes it feel very cosy. I love the fit of it, not too bulky, with enough room to wear a nice fluffy fleece underneath it.
It kept me lovely and warm when up on the hills.
The adjustable hem and the windproof outer layer helped keep the biting wind off.
The shape of the jacket is very flattering and looks sporty. You might be walking in the mud, but you still want to look good!
You might be walking in the mud, but you still want to look good!
The two pockets are a decent size, enough to fit in a phone, compass, tissues, etc. The pockets and full-length zip each has a large loop attached, which makes opening them with gloves on a lot easier.
The hood is adequate size with enough room to fit a hat underneath for those chilly days. A peak on the hood would be a useful addition for added protection from the elements.
The shell jacket folds up effortlessly to a reasonable size to stow-away inside a rucksack. In freezing conditions, you could wear it underneath another coat to add an extra layer of insulation.
The bonus with this jacket is that there’s no need for ironing here, you just wash and go! ( it washed very nicely too! )
I think the Lena softshell jacket offers excellent value for money; softshell jackets can be quite pricey, but the Lena is reasonably priced, and if you shop around there are some great offers around. I love the versatility of this jacket, not just a weekend jacket one that I will be wearing for everyday activities as well as all our weekend adventures.
Disclaimer: With thanks to Go Outdoors for helping make this review happen.
You may also like...
- The Craghoppers Lena is a fantastic jacket to throw on and keep the wind and cold out. It looks good too.
- Only a minor point, but did spot some stitching coming undone on the velcro around the cuff. However, this hasn't been a problem and the jacket itself performs great.
Where to Buy: Craghoppers Lena Women’s Hooded Jacket Review