Carbon Monoxide Dangers when Camping Awareness Campaign

For more details on the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Campaign, posters, web banners, and people who’ve been taking action, please read Say No to CO – Carbon Monoxide Kills – Keep it out of your tent

 

 

Sad News

With the spring finally here we have started regular camping again in ernest, and recently stayed at the excellent Nantcol Waterfalls campsite. Unfortunately we came back home to learn of another tragic death caused by Carbon Monoxide when camping, this time a 14 year old girl.

The cause?  Not a faulty gas appliance, but a disposable BBQ that had been left in the porch of the tent.

This is becoming a common problem as people don’t realise that barbecues give of Carbon Monoxide (CO) hours after use.  Bringing them into a tent is a recipe for disaster, and in this case the BBQ wasn’t fully in the tent.

It is most important that you don’t burn things, or even bring a still warm BBQ, into your tent, and always make sure your tent is ventilated.

Taking Action

[pullquote style=’right’]campsites to put up at least one poster warning[/wpsm_quote]Along with others on The Camping Forum, we have decided to take some action to raise the awareness to campers on the dangers.

There is a really simple solution: campsites to put up at least one poster warning campers about the dangers of disposable BBQs and other CO sources.   This could be in the toilet block or wash up area where it is likely most campers will see it.

We created a warning poster (see below), web banners, and started to contact campsites, those with lists of campsites, and other players in the industry.

The Camping and Caravanning Club had also created a poster and warning leaflet, so we provided those too.

Posters and details of the campaign can be found here:

Say No to CO – Carbon Monoxide Kills – Keep it out of your tent

Picture of BBQ warning poster

 

Many thanks to those that have taken action and have helped raise awareness.


Better News

Whilst a number of campsites and people in industry ignored the plea to do something (even something very simple with minimal cost), it was great to see some campsites that immediately agreed to put up a poster, some also said they would print and hand out info leaflets when campers arrived, and others had exactly the same idea and had already put up warning posters.  That’s great, and will hopefully prevent any deaths occurring on those sites.

We’ve also had a discussion with a major UK body on safety with a plan to get some big names behind the campaign, or at least prod some major players to take some action.

This is all looking very positive.

For more details on the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Campaign, posters, web banners, and people who’ve been taking action, please read Say No to CO – Carbon Monoxide Kills – Keep it out of your tent


Get the Family Camping Planner

The family camping planner small

Enter your name and email address and we'll send you the family camping planner.

We won't send you SPAM. You can easily unsubscribe at anytime. Powered by ConvertKit

Show full profile

Contributor

Father to 3 kids, who loves getting out and about (hiking, running, camping, cycling, canoeing...) Co-founded Get Out With The Kids to help other parents enjoy the outdoors with their family.

2 Comments
  1. Thank you for producing this warning, we are a group of active campers throghout the uk, we have posted this DIRECTLY on our MAIN NEW BOARD, in FULL SIZE

    Kind Regards
    Fred Mason

    Webmaster
    CARRY ON CAMPING
    Nationwide Campers UK

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Get Out With The Kids
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare