The Royal Athens 6 is a large family tent, which scores well in features in the review. Ideal for extended family camping.
The Royal Athens 6 is a large family tent, with some great features. Ideal for extended family camping.
With the Royal Athens 6, you will be King and Queen of the campsite 😉
Seriously though, this is a large quality tent, with lots of extremely good features.
- 3 double bedrooms. Can sleep 6.
- Large living space with integrated porch (living area divided between main tent and porch area).
- The side entrance has storm protection, providing a good entrance if it is wet and windy, keeping the elements out of the main tent area.
- Side entrance enclosure could also be used to house a chemical toilet.
- Good high and low ventilation. Plus some windows can open.
- The light coloured roof, coupled with the large windows, makes the tent living space nice and bright.
- The darkened material in the sleeping areas. Good ventilation in the sleeping areas.
- The windows have curtains. In addition, some windows have exterior blinds to reduce the build-up of heat in the tent on hot sunny days.
- Useful features inside, such as handy storage pockets and a lantern hook (with cable tidies if using Electric Hook-Up).
- Flame retardant material that is waterproofed to 3000mm HH.
- Sewn in groundsheet (front porch area has a bathtub groundsheet).
- Easy to pitch tunnel tent design (you could probably complete pitching, including inner tents, within an hour). Colour coded poles to simplify pitching.
- 22mm steel poles for the main tent, with 11mm fibre-flex poles for additional items (such as shades and canopies).
- A good head height of 225 cm.
- Luminous guy lines to reduce the risk of tripping in the dark.
- Zips protected against the elements.
- Repair kit included.
If you are planning on setting up camp for a few days, or perhaps a week camping somewhere, the Royal Athens 6 provides you with plenty of space for lots of clothes, plus seating and living space if the weather is not the best.
This is a big tent. Tent footprint dimensions are 4.5 m wide by 7.8 m, so it will require a large pitch (remember extra space for guy lines).
Weight is 54.2kg, with a pack size of 42 x 42 x 90 cm, so it is really the sort of tent if you have a very large car, van, or trailer (considering the other camping gear you are likely to take.
The Royal Athens 6 is a tunnel tent, which are easy tents to pitch (see How to Pitch a Tunnel Tent).
Two people are recommend for pitching this tent.
The tent poles are colour coded to simplify the process, starting with inserting the blue rear steel pole into the matching colour coded channel. Unlike a lot of tunnel tents, Royal recommend that one person goes inside the tent to support this first tentpole (the other person then pins the pole into the base and clips it to the tent. This is then repeated for all the other tent poles.
The Royal Athens also has fibreglass poles that are used for the canopy on the front (called the ‘eyebrow’) and the other shades.
Royal Athens 6 Extras
You can buy a matching tent carpet for the Athens 6, as well as a footprint.
The Royal carpets always feel quite plush compared to some other tent carpets.