You can listen to the podcast below.
Winter Family Adventures Podcast Episode
Top Tips from Jen and Sim
- It gets dark early in the winter so take a few head torches. Even familiar walks look different at night and an exciting adventure for the kids.
- Make sure you have at least one spare set of clothes for each kid with you. Kids love to get into puddles, so if they get wet, they get cold, and then your time outside comes to an end. Take spare clothes so you don’t have to worry about them getting wet.
- Kid’s can’t eat a big breakfast to load up on fuel for the day, so make sure you have food with you to keep their energy (and warmth) up. Take plenty of snacks with you for when you see them flagging.
- Go with the flow. If the kids have fun somewhere along the route, which means you won’t have time to complete the full route you had planned, then don’t worry about it. The importance is for everyone to have fun outside.
- Get involved yourself and join in with the kids. Don’t just sit on the side with your phone. Have fun too!
- Take every opportunity you can to get out for a walk.
If you have a National Trust Family Membership, this book is a great companion to exploring the many places with your family.
Be in the know!
Join thousands of other parents and receive our regular newsletter containing a round up of the latest articles, days out, campsites, and reviews for helping you get your family outside and active.