If you are in the Lake District then a visit to the South Lakes Animal Wildlife Park in Dalton-in-Furness.
The picture above says it all. Here you can hand feed giraffes (twice a day), you can hand feed penguins, and you can see the big cats being fed (no hand feeding there for obvious reasons!).
There’s a wide selection of animals from different parts of the world.
- Africa – African lion, giraffe, baboons, mandrills, pygmy hippos, white rhino, and fennec fox.
- Asia – amur tiger and fruit bats.
- Australia – ibis, black swans, emus, kangaroos, and wallabies.
- Indonesia – babirusa, indonesian otters, siamang, sumatran tiger, and gibbons.
- Madagascar – lemurs, lots of species of lemurs.
- South America – condors, vultures, spectacled bear, spider monkeys, giant otters, howler monkeys, macaws, and many more.
As well as the animals there’s a mini train ride, children’s play area, and both indoor and outdoor picnic areas.
You can download a map of the park here.
Opening Times and Prices
Open every day between 10am and 5pm (4.30pm Nov-Feb).
Here are the prices when we last checked. Please view their web site for the latest prices and opening times.
- Adults – £13.50
- Children (3-15 years, under 3’s are free) – £8.00
- Senior Citizens – £9.00
Getting in Touch with South Lakes Wild Animal Park
Here's how you can get in contact with South Lakes Wild Animal Park.
01229 466 086
Where to find South Lakes Wild Animal Park
Sat Nav Postcode: LA15 8JR
Latitude: 54.1683388, Longitude: -3.1731541
Broughton Road, Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria.Show on Google Maps Show on OS Maps
Other Places Nearby
Be in the know!
Join thousands of other parents and receive our regular newsletter containing a round up of the latest articles, days out, campsites, and reviews for helping you get your family outside and active.