The Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway runs from Ravenglass on the coast, winding seven miles up the Lake District National Park, to Boot Station.
The trains are narrow gauge steam trains, with the earliest built in 1894, and the most recent built in 1976.
The Route & Stops
There are a number of request stops along the route where you can get off. Note that one stop is as the popular Fisherground campsite.
- Ravenglass – Ravenglass is set on the coast. You can also get there by train. Muncaster Castle is just down the road.
- Muncaster Mill – Spot the local wildlife here – including the rare Red Squirrels.
- Miteside Halt
- Murthwait Halt – Take in the view of England’s highest mountain range at over 3100ft.
- Irton Road – Stop off and explore the old Lakeland village of Eskdale Green.
- The Green – More wildlife and walks.
- Fisherground Halt – Great if you are camping here.
- Beckfoot – There’s a 3 mile family-friendly walk to Dalegarth.
- Dalegarth for Boot – There’s a number of walks from here, from a short stroll into Boot village, to a 7 mile walk to Hardknott Roman Fort.
Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway Fares
The journey takes about 40 minutes each way, but you may wish to stop off at one the above halts to make a longer day of it.
Here were the prices when we last checked. Please check their website for the latest prices and times.
- Adult Return (unlimited travel for the day, plus line guide) – £12.60
- Child Return (ages 5-15, unlimited travel and scratch card game) – £6.30
- Children under 5 are free.
- Family Return (2 adults and 2 children) – £33.40
Here's how you can get in contact with Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway. 01229 717 171 Sat Nav Postcode: CA18 1SW Latitude: 54.3567963, Longitude: -3.4092817 Ravenglass, Cumbria.
Getting in Touch with Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway
Where to find Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway
Other Places Nearby
Here's how you can get in contact with Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.
01229 717 171
Sat Nav Postcode: CA18 1SW
Latitude: 54.3567963, Longitude: -3.4092817
Ravenglass, Cumbria.Show on Google Maps Show on OS Maps
Be in the know!
Join thousands of other parents and receive our regular newsletter containing a round up of the latest articles, days out, campsites, and reviews for helping you get your family outside and active.