We tried these the other week at the campsite and they turned out really well. So here’s how you can make potato wedges over the campfire or BBQ.
What You Need
- Potatoes (obviously!)
- Optional seasoning (e.g. salt, pepper, paprika, etc.)
- A hot BBQ or hot embers from a campfire
How to cook the wedges
Cooking the wedges is very straightforward.
- Wash and slice potatoes into wedges.
- Tear off two sheets of foil.
- Turn up the sides on one of the sheets of foil and add some oil.
- Put some potato wedges into the oil on the foil sheet.
- Season if you wish (we used smoked paprika).
- Make sure the potatoes are covered in oil.
- Wrap the foil around them.
- Use the second sheet to wrap another layer of foil around your potatoes.
- Place the potato parcel on hot campfire embers (not in the flames), or over a hot BBQ.
They could take around 40 minutes, depending on how hot the fire or BBQ is.
Turn them regularly. Using Hot Gloves helps with this (click here to see Hot Gloves on Amazon).
As it gets near to 40 minutes, check the potatoes. They can easily catch if too hot.
We cooked ours in two separate parcels. I’ve found that when parcels are too big they don’t cook as well.
These turned out so well, we wish we had cooked more than two parcels 🙂
The result: really delicious potato wedges!
They turned out a cross between potato wedges and roast potatoes…and they were all the better for it 🙂
Give it a try.
If you do, post a picture in the comments below.
Here’s what we used. You should be able to bring everything you need from home if you don’t have a specific camping item.
Get the Family Camping Planner
Enter your name and email address and we'll send you the family camping planner.