Making Chapattis was fun and tasted great when still warm from the campfire.
Chapattis are an Indian flat bread and go great with curry.
Making flat bread at camp is really simple: all you need is flour and water.
- You need about two and a half cups of flour to one of water.
- Mix the water with the flour slowly and knead into a dough.
- Roll the dough into small balls, then flatten each ball.
- Place on grill over campfire or hot coals.
Making the Curry
The curry is really easy to cook in a Dutch Oven.
We were a few days into camp when we cooked this, and so we cheated, and made a simple veg curry (cool box wasn’t very warm at this point).
- Chop and fry onion
- Add tins of mixed veg, beans, and tomatoes
- Add a jar of curry sauce
Told you it was cheating!
You only need about half a dozen hot charcoals under the dutch oven.
Leave the lid on the dutch oven. Lift and turn the oven every few minutes to avoid heat spots.
The chapittas are just flour and water, but taste great when warm.
As you can see from the video, they’re fun and easy to make on the campsite. All you need to do is bring the flour.
Get the Family Camping Planner
Enter your name and email address and we'll send you the family camping planner.