Chocolate orange campfire cakes are a great recipe to try with your kids the next time you go camping. They're really easy to make and taste good too.
Chocolate orange campfire cakes are fun to make, easy to cook and taste good too.
Chocolate orange campfire cakes are really, really, simple. Here's how you can bake a cake in an orange.
Here's what you need
- Oranges - 1 orange per cake
- Instant cake mix - ones you just have to add water to are the best for the campsite
Making Chocolate Orange Campfire Cakes
- Slice off the top of each orange at about 1/4 of the way down.
- Hollow out the oranges.
- Make the cake mix.
- Fill each orange with cake mix and put the top back on the orange.
- Wrap each orange in foil.
- Place on the campfire (how long depends on how hot).
Slice off the top of the orange and remove the contents.
Make up the cake mix.
Fill each orange with cake mix.
Put the 'lids' on each orange, wrap them with foil, and place them on the campfire.
They do taste like chocolate oranges.
We used a chocolate fudge cake mix which made these particularly gooey.
Cooking time varies, depending on where you place them in your campfire. We recommend checking every 10 minutes.
You may find that some cakes are not completely done, but depending on your cake mix, this may be fine. A bit of cake and goo never hurt anyone, and I'd prefer them that way rather than risk burning the cakes.
It's up to you what you do with the discarded orange juice.
We ate it, of course. 😉
Here are a few comments on this recipe...
Best Camping Recipe
This was also voted best camping recipe by readers of the Decathlon blog.