Cooking curry and chapattis over the campfire or hot charcoals is an easy meal to make. Your kids will have fun making the chapattis.
Making Chapattis was fun and tasted great when still warm from the campfire.
Chapattis are an Indian flatbread and go great with curry.
Making flatbread at camp is simple: all you need is flour and water.
- You need about two and a half cups of flour to one of water.
- Mix the water with the flour slowly and knead it into a dough.
- Roll the dough into small balls, then flatten each ball.
- Place on grill over a campfire or hot coals.
Making the Curry
The curry is easy to cook in a Dutch Oven.
We were a few days into camp when we cooked this, so we cheated and made a simple veg curry.
- Chop and fry onion
- Add tins of mixed veg, beans, and tomatoes
- Add a jar of curry sauce
I told you it was cheating!
You only need about half a dozen hot charcoals under the Dutch oven.
Leave the lid on the Dutch oven. Lift and turn the oven every few minutes to avoid heat spots.
The chapattis are just flour and water but taste great when warm.
As you can see from the video, they're fun and easy to make on the campsite. All you need to do is bring the flour.